Monday, March 20, 2006

Uh ... no

I've said before I've never voted against a school referendum. Despite the fact that I have no kids in school (and never have had).

So I've been fighting a war within myself as to how to vote on this week's $66 million proposal. I hate to deny kids any advantage. After all, someone paid for my public education.

But the other half of my brain says this plan simply isn't a very good idea. It's been flawed from the very beginning.

For instance, after months of hearings, meetings, debates and discussions on what people, the administration and the board wanted and needed, the board said 'we want $66 million.' And then they went about deciding what they would spend the $66 million on.

Isn't that a bit backwards?

Then, the plans they finally proposed were so screwed up as to be simply unsupportable. It has everything to do with politics and little to do with education.

I'm all for air conditioning. I've got it in my house. But in these hard economic times, if I didn't have it, I wouldn't be thinking about adding it. Not right now.

Probably they do need a new elementary school north of University Avenue. Probably the consent decree demands it. But to say, OK, we'll build one, give us the money. THEN they decide on a location so damned far out of the affected area that it is in agreement with the consent decree but will do absolutely nothing to actually achieve the decree really is pathetic.

And my final straw is the Savoy school. Maybe Savoy does need an elementary school. Maybe it deserves one. But this decision is NOT about need. Promising Savoy a school will assure that the referendum gets lots of 'yes' votes from the Savoy area. It had nothing to do with need. It has everything to do with votes.

That's just wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Two elementary schools north of University Avenue have been closed in the past couple decades. One new one has been built and still has empty desks.

Just what is the reason for building another?

I don't see that it's justified.

I can't support it.

And I doubt enough other people will, either.

The school board's blatant politicking is a little too transparent this time around. If you want me to support education, give me a smart plan.

This is stupid.

I'm voting NO.

With no regret.

And so it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to add my "amen." I've been on the fence about this thing the whole time, but I was leaning towards yes. It has seemed like the whole plan was disorganized from the start, but I understand the grade schools need space and some modernization. I hate the idea of tearing down Dr. Howard and building some new insta-box school in it's place, but I was willing to go along with it.

Then this confusion hit about the location and I just cannot support this. It's just crazy.