Thursday, October 26, 2006

Odd ends

Just leftover thoughts and pretty marginal stuff:

-- The CU Chamber of Commerce sure is sounding a lot like a spoiled little brat concerning the Big.Small.All. Champaign County community planning project. A little tantrum this week along the lines of, "I don't like the score of this game so I'm just gonna hold my breath and run home." To which most of the folks involved likely yawned "So what?" If there's a less effective organization in the county than the CofC, I'd like to see it. I'd almost forgotten we had one.

-- Although I know few of the details and am far from an expert, I still liked the Illinois Health Facilities Planning Board's decision to deny Carle Foundation Hospital bid to build an outpatient surgery center in Coles County. 'Bout time SOMEONE said 'NO' to that giant just once. Probably the decision was wrong. Probably Coles County needs the center. Probably. But still it was heartening to see someone slap that big unruly dog in the nose with a newspaper just once. Gets tiresome hearing the chorus of 'Whatever Carle wants... Carle gets...' all the time.

-- The nursing home's mold problem and it's political aftermath to me has been the biggest and most enthusiastic flogging of a dead horse I've seen in years. And all the righteous talk that it's about the $2-plus million cost and doesn't have a thing to do with politics. Bull hockey. It's obviously a transparant political ploy to embarass the County Board's Democrats (and the two Republicrats). And since it's been ramrodded by the county GOP's No. 1 hacksaw....

-- No surprise here, the Champaign library construction's behind schedule. Think it could have something to do with the big hole in the ground being filled with rain water and mud most of the spring? Municipal projects are almost always behind schedule. It's tradition. Beats me how private construction projects seem to take about half the time. Still, it's beginning to look like a building. And even at this stage it's more attractive than the current library building.

All for now, carry on, folks.

And so it goes.

2 comments:

Fire Ron Guenther said...

Its not it's (sic). Boy, if GOP ran the County Board and screwed up the nursing home, you'd be on your high horse.

Ol' Guy said...

If you say so. Personally, as a political issue, I still think this is a non-starter. In other words, I simply do not care one way or the other. My only complaint is how a non-issue is being used as a mis-aimed bludgeon.