Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I wish

-- I wish I was feeling more positive about the Cubs' hiring of Lou Pinella. It's just that he's got too many miles, too many losses and too many embarrassing tantrums on his resume to suit me. Besides, without a roster of actual major league players to work with, he won't make a difference anyway. I suspect secretly Joe Girardi is cheering the hiring. Why would any good young manager want to go to Wrigley right now? And don't forget, I'm a lifelong die-hard Cubs fan and will die one.

But one manager won't solve decades of corporate neglect. Especially not Lou.

-- I wish the election was already over. I'm so tired of all the negativity from both sides in every race. I've been an election watcher for many years. This year is the worst by leaps and bounds. Never seen anything like it. And two candidates spending close to $100,000 EACH for a state Senate seat? Ridiculous. For what? Does anyone really think one inconsequential little downstate legislator is going to make any difference on any issue anyway? Grow up folks. We live in the Great State of Chicago (and lesser downstate counties). When Chicago sneezes, we get boogered.

-- I wish the Ron Guenther boo birds would sit back and take a look at what the man's really done. The entire system's so much better, and the infrastructure's so much better than 10 years ago that it's nearly unrecognizable. Ron can't take the field and tackle folks; he's used up his eligibility. All we can hope for is that Ron Turner's recruits leave soon so Ron Zook can run HIS program with his players.

-- I really really hope that the UI halftime minstrel show is in its last year. It's an embarrassment to a great university. (But then again, judging from the sorry, ingrained racist attitudes of its alumni, maybe it's not such a great university after all. Didn't anyone teach them to think in the time they were on campus?)

-- Still haven't heard of a single restaurant in Urbana closing because of the non-smoking ordinance that went into effect, what, three months ago? Don't expect I will.

-- Getting tired of telephone push-polls. Been polled by both parties in the last week and in both cases the slant of the questions was ridiculous.

-- And to answer both parties, no, I'm not going to be putting your candidate's signs in my yard. There isn't a candidate in the area I personally want to be associated with.

And so it goes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's sad to hear that you don't plan on voting. You seem smarter than that. Are you saying that there is not one difference between any of the candidates? By a lot of your comments you seem to be somewhat left of center. One would think that might at the very least want to see a little change. This is no time for some kind of purist apathy. We can't afford that. Before the 2000 election I thought there wasn't a difference between Republicans and Democrats, but now 6 years of unfettered and unchallenged power, I realize that they can do MUCH damage and we need to get them out of control and THEN criticize the Democrats who have sold us out before. If you don't vote then you haven't earned the right to bitch.

Ol' Guy said...

I never ever never said I didn't plan on voting. I haven't missed voting in an election in 35-plus years and I certainly don't plan on missing this one. Of course I'll vote and you're right most if not all of my votes will land left of center. I think you may have read a little more into one of the statements than was there. I'm not crazy about too many of the candidates, but I'd hate not voting worse than voting for the lesser of two evils.

Fire Ron Guenther said...

Under Ron Guenther's "leadership," the football program is 64-101-2. 4 bowl games in 15 seasons. Please tell me how that is successful. PS Football is THE revenue sport at Illinois...with low attendance, it's gonna be hard to fund non-revenue sports. But hey, he hired Theresa Grentz!

PS He's been a real leader on the Chief issue. HAAHAHAHA