Thursday, November 2, 2006

The local news

I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating.

I still do not believe the Dems are gonna take the US House and/or Senate. I really don't care what the polls say.

The problem with the polls is they really aren't measuring the election from the local perspective. Ask any voter if he wants to throw the barsturds out and given the GOP track record the last 6 years, a good majority will shout "Hell Yeah!"

Problem is, then you have to ask question two: Does that mean you're gonna vote against YOUR GOP Congressman/Senator? The answer likely will be "Hell No!" I want all the rest of them barsturds out, but I'm still voting for Tim. Or Denny. Or whomever.

I just want YOU to vote YOUR crooked congressman out, OK?

Given that's the way it really works, I don't see a Democratic takeover of Congress. I see Democratic gains. Just not a majority.

Sorry.

--------------------------------------

NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT:

Shortly after the election, the Old Guy blog likely will be shutting down. It looks like the Old Guy (and Not-So-Old Spouse) will be packing up and heading to much sunnier climes. Permanently.

I'll likely still be reading the local blogs, but it's gonna be difficult to comment on local goings-on from 1,300 miles away. Especially when there's important beach combing and sun gathering to be done. (This isn't, however, retirement. Not yet, anyway).

We'll see what happens.

And so it goes.

5 comments:

Fire Ron Guenther said...

I'll miss you Old Guy, even though I think you're a shill for the Champaign County Democrats. Tony Fabri must go!

Champaign American said...

Have plenty of blender and umbrella drinks while we shovel the ice and snow off our drives here.

Anonymous said...

Farewell, I've enjoyed reading you.

Ol' Guy said...

Thanks for the kind words, all. I'll miss the area and most of the people in CU. And for the record, I'm not a shill for the Champaign Dems or anyone but myself and my shallow predjudices. I really don't even know who's the local Dem party head. Nor do I really care.

Anonymous said...

good luck, jack. enjoy the sun!