Sunday, September 24, 2006

Staying home

Looked into migrating this blog over to Wordpress yesterday, since that's what all the cool kids are doing.

You'll note I'm still here. That's not likely to change.

Wordpress couldn't import my blog content. Although they said they could. (Apparently they haven't heard of Blogger beta yet, where this is located).

Wordpress couldn't import my blogroll. Although they said they could. (Apparently they haven't heard of Blogger beta yet, where this is located).

Wordpress said it had dozens of cool themes. They were no better than those at Blogger. And Blogger has more choices. They're all pretty lame.

Can someone explain why anyone would want to move? What's the attraction? What's the benefit?

Is there something I'm missing?

And so it goes.

6 comments:

Narc said...

I have not meddled with the Blogger beta, but Wordpress has support right out of the box for categorizing blog posts. I hear the Blogger beta has these, so whatever.

WP is a great deal more configurable. There are lots of plugins and things you can download, and things you can tweak to get your page just how you want it.

It has built-in support for comment moderation and spam rejection, which I imagine would be important if you have a high-profile blog. It also sits on your own machine, so you don't have to worry about Blogger going down.

And there aren't dozens of themes for WordPress, there are hundreds. Here's a list of 980 of them.

I imagine that, like so many other things, it's a matter of taste and what you're comfortable with.

Ol' Guy said...

Narc,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I keep trying and Wordpress just refuses to import my blog from Blogger (probably because I'm stuck in beta hell) so it looks like I'll have to stay here for the time being.

You've gone a long way toward convincing me, however.

Ol' Guy said...

I'm not sure about this, but I'm beginning to get the feeling that Wordpress is not Mac compatible. Anyone else know anything about this?

Narc said...

The Wordpress software (wordpress.org) actually runs on the web server. It requires a MySQL database, which runs under OS X.

It looks like there's a Blogger-like service at wordpress.com, but I don't know anything about that.

Anonymous said...

I really like Wordpress, because it is so much more user-friendly than blogger. I love the categories, in particular, and the extra pages (the ones on top of the header photo; I can make as many as I want). I also like how easy it was to set up. The only bummer was not being able to import my blogroll or my haloscan comments. But, my blogroll needed some tweaking anyway.

Ol' Guy said...

Turns out Wordpress hasn't figured out how to import Blogger Beta pages yet. Just another good reason to avoid Blogger Beta. Looks like I stay put for the time being.