Thursday, July 27, 2006

Acceptable

Well, the death toll at the World Free Fall Sky Dieing Convention in Rantoul is at one with almost four days to go.

We've been told in the past that there is an 'acceptable' death toll for an event like this.

From the NG:
There have been no other reported accidents nor any other problems reported so far this year, he said.

This death brings the total number of sky divers killed to five since the World Free Fall Convention came to Rantoul in 2002.

This year's event began July 21 and ends Sunday.

Rantoul Village Administrator David Johnston said the event is primarily set up to support the sky divers.

"They've been doing this a number of years, so they pretty much have it down to a science," Johnston said.

"They are very up front with people concerned about safety," Johnston said. "This is a high-risk hobby or sport, like racing. It depends on equipment or the user judgment."
Acceptable death toll indeed.

And so it goes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Golly gee whiz this is great newz!

I remember as a child the whole family would go to the EAA convention in Wisconson every year.
I always knew I would see at least one wreck with dead people!

It's kinda like the lottery,
"join now and you too could be the next one to die this season"

Anonymous said...

There is a risk in rock climbing whether one uses lines or is free climbing, different types of vehicle racing, boat racing, scuba diving, and of course, skydiving. There is acceptable risk in these high risk (potentially resulting in death)activities because the actual risk is very low. Steps, rules, and equipment are implemented in all of these to minimize the high risk aspect of these activities, but because of the nature of the acitvity it is stil high risk if those mitigators are not followed. Are you suggesting that people be stopped from engaging in these activities? Why not let them engage in those activities?

Ol' Guy said...

Anony: I never suggested stopping the Sky Dieing convention. It's just too darned entertaining watching fools jump and die. My comments over the years have been that the event organizers view a few deaths as 'acceptable.' Acceptable maybe to them, but not to the newly-minted land pizzas -- and their families.

The convention is good for Rantoul, good for the county, the econpmy and I'm quote sure good for all the jumpers who have loads of fun. Just stop trying to characterize death as 'acceptable.' It's not.

Anonymous said...

I never said death was acceptable nor did I characterize it as such. I said the risk is very low hence it being acceptable to people who are involved. People who engage in these activities view the risk as acceptable along with their families and audiences otherwise they wouldn't support them at the events. Your opinion is that it is not acceptable which is simply contrary to theirs. Since it wasn't clear to me and since I haven't known you for years I asked if you were advocating a stop to such high risk behavior. Think of it this way. A lot of activities entail some risk. Some have low to high risk, and depending on additional factors you decide what is acceptable to you.

Ol' Guy said...

My point still is that risk is acceptable. I agree with that. There's risk in everything. I would never deny people who seek adrenalin rush their thrills. I have no problem with that. And I wouldn't call for them to stop, as long as they don't put me at risk in the process. Heck, I've done a few things over my years that many would consider risky, even foolhardy. If people choose to put themselves at risk, sobeit. Risk is acceptable.It's a part of life. In events such at this, it's appropriate. But to treat death as acceptable isn't appropriate. That's my whole point.