Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Plowed under

I'm all for progress. I like the idea of living in a growing community.

Really.

So the idea of 400 new homes in Champaign/Savoy is appealing. Even if they range in price between $200,000 and $500,000, which means I'll need a passport to even enter the subdivision.

But I have to wonder, just how much beautiful, valuable farmland has to be permanently taken out of production in the name of growth and progress?

The new subdivision, to be called Liberty on the Lake, planned to straddle the Champaign-Savoy boundary, will remove another 240 acres of beautiful, prime farmland. Forever.

I like growth. Really.

But come on, there must be a way to grow responsibly. We need farmland. We need farmers.

But how many more $500,000 brick-and-sod-and-cedar-shingled mausoleums do we really need on the outskirts, eating up more and more farmland?

And so it goes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"brick-and-sod-and-cedar-shingled mausoleums"

Yuppie Barns? We probably could do without, really.

Anonymous said...

Gee..How many doctors, bnakers, and lawyers live in Champaign? I drive around sometimes and wonder what all these people do for a living. A contractor buddy of mine told me when he's inside a lot of these homes doing work they hardly have any furniture in them (aka: living in debt up to your eyeballs!)

That's the american way I suppose.

Anonymous said...

Gee..How many doctors, bnakers, and lawyers live in Champaign? I drive around sometimes and wonder what all these people do for a living. A contractor buddy of mine told me when he's inside a lot of these homes doing work they hardly have any furniture in them (aka: living in debt up to your eyeballs!)

That's the american way I suppose.

Anonymous said...

can't the Champaign County Board enact some zoning restrictions? Talk to your guy Tony Fabri, afer all the Democrats control the County Board.

Ol' Guy said...

I thought you folks were AGAINST more government control. Why can't the free market work to control urban/suburban sprawl and to preserve at least some of the agrarian areas?

Maybe it would be a good idea if the county board enacted some sprawl restrictions, but at the first hint of an idea, the hue and cry from developers, speculators and subdividers would become deafening.