Wednesday, October 5, 2005

Going green

Whatever happened to recycling?

I watched Monday morning as our waste company dumped our garbage can into the back of his truck. Then I watched as he picked up the carefully separated recyclables and dumped them too in the back of the garbage truck. Crunch. Off to the landfill.

The wife tells me this is a fairly frequent occurrance.

Weren't the waste companies supposed to be actually doing something with the recyclables? I mean something other than landfilling them? I thought that was part of the agreement between the city of Champaign and the waste haulers a few years (decades?) ago.

Maybe it's not really all that profitable right now; but to landfill such reusable products seems to be such a waste. A useless waste.

What happened?

And so it goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it's because the waste management company has decided that recycling costs them money.

Ol' Guy said...

This may be true in the short run, but I believe in the long run they are mandated to do it. It was, I believe, part of the agreement allowing them to bypass (and ultimately kill) what was a very efficient recycling center and take over the service themselves. To suddenly decide to landfill all recyclables may or may not be in actual violation of the agreement (it was some years ago) it certainly is in violation of the spirit of the agreement.