Tuesday, July 26, 2005

They said it

I've been meaning/wanting/dreading creating a post on the Chief ever since I started this blog some months ago. But until now, I was a little unsure how to start and more than a little apprehensive about the comments I might receive and the potential for hurt feelings and angry words. Even if some of those angry words were mine.

Enter Champaign Common Sense into the fray. Their post on Chief Illiniwek published Monday comes as close to my feelings as anything I've read on this subject in some time.

I really think it should be required reading by every UI alumni out there.

Not that it'll really change too many minds. But it can't hurt.

And to expand a bit, I have grown weary with the 'What about the Washington Redskins' 'What about the Atlanta Braves' 'What about the Cleveland Indians' arguments.

Honestly, I find them offensive, too. But I can't do anything about them. No one in C-U can. But we CAN, if we get our heads straight, do something about the Cheef.

Or we can go on insulting an entire race of people and their religion because we can.

It's our choice.

And so it goes.

No comments: