Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Not a prayer

When I first heard the news on NPR this morning concerning the Mahomet -Seymour School Board's decision on prayer at its meetings, I thought, 'Finally, some common sense in government.' But after a few hours of reflection, now I'm not so sure.

In case you missed it, the board decided to retain its prayer before the meeting, but move it off the agenda and out of the board room, prior to the meeting.

From the News-Gazette:
"This, in my mind, meets the need that I see personally for us having prayer in this school and standing for that, and at the same time removes the legal risk and financial exposure that each of us has," school board President Mark Gerst said.

Sounds like a reasonable solution. Those board members who wish to pray before the meeting can pray. Those who don't, don't have to.

Again, from today's News-Gazette story:
Gerst proposed the compromise, which he refers to as '15 minutes and 50 feet.' It allows board members and others to meet for prayer before the meeting but in another room.

Upon further review, however, it would seem that if more than 50 percent of the board attends the pre-meeting prayer, it likely would constitute an illegal public meeting and could be in violation of the Illinois Open Meetings Act.
It's unfortunate, but it's also the law.

I have absolutely nothing against prayer. I pray a lot. I need it. You do too. In fact we all should do more. The Bible advises us to 'pray without ceasing.' God never tires of listening.

I firmly believe government would be a lot better if a lot more government folks prayed a lot more. And then listened for God's guidance. That second part's really important. Listen.

But they don't need to do it in public meetings.

I'd like to remind these folks first, of the First Amendment, which advises that 'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...' Public, government-sanctioned prayer before a meeting establishes Christianity as the board's religion. Unless, of course, they alternate religions. (I'd love to see a Rastafarian minister offer a prayer before the Mahomet board. Perhaps he could pass around some sacramental ganja? Could a Santarian minister sacrifice a chicken...? Sorry, just rambling.)

I'd also like to remind the board, and other boards, of another pertinent statement:
From Matthew 6: 5- And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward.
6- But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
7- When you are praying, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard because of their many words.
8- Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

You want to pray for guidance before a meeting, most definitely do so. I encourage it. I pray that you do. Just do it by yourself. Alone. Between you and God.

He'll listen. He always does.

That public prayer? Is it really for guidance? Or for show?

One final note: Jesus spoke rather eloquently in the book of Mark on the separation of church and state. Turns out Jesus was for it.
Mark 12 14- And they came and said to him, 'Teacher, we know that you are sincere, and show deference to no one; for you do not regard people with partiality, but teach the way of God in accordance with truth. Is it lawful to pay taxes to the emperor, or not?
15- Should we pay them, or should we not?' But knowing their hypocrisy, he said to them, 'Why are you putting me to the test? Bring me a denarius and let me see it.'
16- And they brought one. Then he said to them, 'Whose head is this, and whose title?' They answered, 'The emperor's.'
17- Jesus said to them, Give to the emperor the things that are the emperor's, and to God the things that are God's.' And they were utterly amazed at him.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And so it goes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I firmly believe government would be a lot better if a lot more government folks prayed a lot more. And then listened for God's guidance. That second part's really important. Listen."

Doesn't George W. Bush do this?

Not so sure I like the results.

Ol' Guy said...

The Wimbecile may pray, but he obviously doesn't listen for an answer.

Anonymous said...

Hi there Ol' Guy, I was just cruising searching for the latest information on Healing and came across this great blog. Although this post wasn’t quite what I was looking for, it has excellent articles. I see now why I found your page when I was looking for Healing related topics. I’m glad I stopped by this is a great Blog, keep up the good work. You are most welcomed to visit my site at Healing