Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I Ran?

Been trying to put together a blog on Iran's election uprising and the U.S. response but I haven't been able to get it together.

And it kinda feels like the U.S. as a whole hasn't, either.

Congressional Republicans, of course, want Pres. Obama to be much more hard-line. Wave a few swords, rattle a few cages.

I really don't see the point in that or what good that might do. If you wave enough swords, sooner or later, someone's gonna challenge you to use them.

And I'm not all to sure we need another war/war front in the Middle East right about now. We've got our hands full with an illegal war in Iraq, a defensible but repugnant war in Afghanistan and I suspect a clandestine action in Pakistan. We're spread pretty thin.

That leaves a measured but firm denouncing of the election and the repression in Iran. That's been Obama's stance so far.

Still, as bad as it is over there, I still end up wondering 'Can't we somehow do more?'

I doubt it, but it is a totally repugnant situation with no real way for outside interests to intervene.

What to do, what to do?

I told you, I can't quite get it together. Sounds like out administration can't either.

And so it goes.

1 comment:

In Sod We Trust said...

It's a shame Georgie boy had to go into Iraq, because all along, I felt Iran and North Korea were the real problem areas in the world. And seeing Iranians actually wanting political freedoms and rallying against their tyrannical government, it would be a great place to help out. But not anymore, not with so much money blown on the Iraq conflict and our troops spread so thin as it is (not to mention the terrible economy he inherited). Obama is in a tough spot. A very unenviable position where whatever he does probably will get criticised. I'm actually a little more concerned with the nutjobs in North Korea, however....