Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Who?

The official field for Kathy Ennan's vacated Champaign City Council seat went from pretty slim to 'holy heck!' in a hurry today, the last day to file.

As reported elsewhere (IP among others), the field now is set at:

Garrett Anderson Jr.
Patricia Avery
Azark David Cobbs
Deb Frank Feinen
Karen Foster
Kathleen Gary
Bill Glithero
Christy Grassman
Brad LaPayne
James Lievano
Bradley Mahaffey
Charles Nerone
Gregory Stock
Harry Washburn
Robert West

Aside from Avery and Feinen, it's pretty much a list of 'who dat?'

It's also encouraging. It's nice to know that people are willing to serve. It's not like anyone's gonna get rich at the job. Or become wildly popular either.

If I ever figure out who they all are (OK, I know who Avery, Feinen, LaPayne, Glithero and Anderson are) I'll probably feel a little more free at analyzing the race. (Early odds favor Avery and Feinen, but ...)

Googling can find many of these folks in Champaign, but until I'm certain I can attach the Googled name to the actual candidate, I'm loathe to include that information here.

Right now I'm just satisfied there is a real race.

And so it goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the tent cards on the tables at the bars with the 5 that voted for the moking ban were funny. saw it on the news last night, I'm not sure i would want that seat after that story. dunks calling at 1:30AM to give there oppinion. and so it goes :)

Ol' Guy said...

Didn't see it. Rarely watch the broadcast 'news.' Nevertheless, I'm constantly amazed by the general low opinion folks seem to have about bar patrons in C-U. They're so dumb that 'if I can't smoke I'll stay home' or 'if I can't smoke, I'll get bombed and make harrassing phone calls.' I really don't think that kind of person makes up the majority of the bar patrons in the area. I honestly believe we're better than that.

I also don't believe people go to bars to smoke. They go to drink, to socialize, to watch sports, to hang with friends, play pool, darts, dance, listen to music. Except for a few hard core smokers, I doubt you're going to see much of a change after Jan. 31.

Those who are predicting massive bar closures fail to take into account the above and also fail to note how successful non smoking has been in many other towns and cities. It works elsewhere. why can't it work here.? We're a progressive, generally intelligent community.

To me it's all crying 'the sky is falling the sky is falling.'

All sturm und no drang.