Wednesday, January 18, 2006

What? No chandeliers?

I see the Champaign School Board is going to ask voters for a $66 million bond issue to build two new schools, renovate Booker T. Washington School and repair a whole bunch of stuff at other schools.

As I said in a previous post, I have never ever opposed any school bond proposal in any place I've ever lived. But I have problems with this one. Not saying in the end I won't vote for it, but, come on, board.

Champaign School Board folks apparently believe that Champaign taxpayers have bottomless pockets. Hell, what's $3.50 a month for the next couple decades for the average taxpayer?

A LOT, that's what it is.

Too much.

I thought Champaign was supposed to be the more conservative of the twin cities. The one that exercised a little common sense and fiscal restraint.

Hey, I'm a liberal. I believe in supporting our schools, despite the fact that I have no children to take advantage of them. But this shows no sign of restraint. No sign of common sense. No sign of respect for the taxpayers in the district.

Did I mention I don't like it?

Among other things, according to WICD-TV's web site, the proposal would pay for:
Air conditioning in all elementary schools.

A new elementary school in North Champaign that meets consent decree requirements.

A new elementary school for the fast-growing community of Savoy.

Other changes include safety and security improvements, the expansion of music space at Central High School and the purchase of 60 acres for a future high school.
Does the district really need all of that stuff? Or does it just want all of that stuff?

Does Savoy really need its own school, or does it just want it? (And given its secessionist actions from the C-U metropolitan area lately, does it really deserve it?)

I hate to say it, but it feels like the board is asking for everything, all at once. 'I want it all, and I want it now!'

Everything but the crystal chandeliers.

And so it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey when they're spending other people's money (bond/tax dollars) it's really easy to blur ths distinction between wants and needs.